- slide 1 of 3
Call of Duty: World at War has a zombie mode which is very similar to the Horde mode in Gears of War 2. This guide is a series to the guide about Gears of War 2 because the concepts are similar. The zombie mode in Call of Duty: World at War can be unlocked by completing the campaign mode.
It is true that there are glitches in Call of Duty: World at War Zombie mode where you and your teammates can become invincible to any damage from the zombies or where you can get hurt but are invisible to the zombies (when you do this, the zombies will begin killing themselves!). It is possible to do these glitches and get the insane high scores that some people have gotten in the zombie mode for COD: WAW.
If you want to play the zombie mode without using any of the glitches, then here are 5 tips to follow in order to get far.
1. Call for Help – If you find that the window(s) you are assigned is getting to be a handful, ask for help. Someone that is close to you might be able to spare some time and kill some of the zombies at your window to make it a little easier for you. This means, of course, everyone on your team has to be able to communicate with one another.
2. Random Gun – In the room next door to the starting room, there is a crate that gives you a random weapon. Use that to you advantage. Ideally, all 4 people should have a strong gun from this crate before getting to wave 8. The two most desired guns seem to be the Flamethrower and the Ray Gun. Make sure to use this crate and get the best guns you can before the later waves.
3. Flamethrower – Not that you do not need to use a lot of fire for the zombies. Tapping the R-trigger a couple times for each zombie should suffice to let the zombie burn over time (4-5 seconds). Ideally, you would stand at a window and perform this action for each zombie and keep holding X to board up the windows while the zombies are outside burn. Do not hold down the R-trigger and use up all of the flame on 1 zombie because there is a cool down period for the gun that will take a long time and will cause you more harm than benefit. The best feature of this weapon: infinite ammo!
4. Ray Gun – Most of the times 1 shot from this gun anywhere on the body of the zombie will kill the zombie (I don’t know how it is possible to kill something that is already dead, but you know what I mean). Sometimes it can take 2 shots from this gun to kill the zombie. Do not be afraid to use this gun as your primary gun in fear of the ammo running out because the max ammo power-ups show up very frequently and running out of ammo is rarely an issue. If everyone on the team has a Ray Gun, then you can be almost unstoppable in the Call of Duty: World at War Zombie mode.
5. Window Assignments – Each person on the team should be assigned a window (or two) or an entranceway from the zombies. This way you can easily split the work among the team and there won’t be any random running around due to confusion for who has which window.
- slide 2 of 3
- slide 3 of 3
Call of Duty: World at War Zombie Mode Tips
6. Revive – When your teammate is down, you should use 2 people to revive him. One person to do the actual revive and the second to cover them while the revive occurs. Many times the person doing the reviving also ends up getting downed because no one was covering him.
7. Headshots – You would assume that if you get a headshot against a zombie, he will immediately die. Not the case. A zombie will usually continue to move and attack for about 1 second after his head is blown off. A headless zombie is still capable of killing you. Many times I have seen people dying because they thought a zombie was taken care of after they headshot it only to get killed by that headless zombie.
The COD: WAW Zombie mode has several locations where the zombies can enter. Two of the best locations are the starting room, and the room on the other side of the “Help Door" where the random crate is. Note that if you choose to go to the random gun room, go from the upstairs and NOT through the “Help Door". This is because the staircase is easier to defend than the door.
If you choose to stay in the starting room, you will not be able to get very good weapons, and you will have 5 windows to defend. The good thing with this location is you can kill the zombies from a distance before they get a chance to get close to the windows. Have 1 person on each of the corner windows. One person on the side window and the 4th person (your strongest player) defend the two windows that are closest to the “Help Door" along the same wall.
If you choose to get into the random gun room, have 1 person at each of the 2 windows, 1 person at the wall that the zombies break through, and your best player defending the staircase. The staircase is going to be your biggest threat because a lot of zombies will accumulate upstairs and they will all come downstairs from this one staircase so the person defending this entrance will have a lot of zombies to deal with.
Note that when a zombie is inside the house and you kill it, you will be given a power-up (insta-kill / max ammo , etc) so sometimes it might benefit you to let some of the zombies inside through the windows.
If everyone is communicating and calls for help when they need it and uses the above tips, then you can get a pretty good score in Call of Duty: World at War Zombie mode. Note you probably won’t be able to get scores that people get when they glitch, but you will have the satisfaction of knowing you got a good score without using glitches.