- slide 1 of 9
Call of Duty: Blac k Ops is the most recent entry into the long-running series of war games. While Call of Duty started primariyl with games centered around World War II, popular opinion has generally shifted away from that war and into more modern conflicts. This isn't a guide for Modern Warfare, though, so not that modern.
Black Ops as a game is set primarily in the conflicts in Vietnam, and the events surrounding the Cuban Missile Crisis. This only matters to us in the Multiplayer guide because it sets the tone of the game; what settings will be included in the maps, what outfits will look like, what factions are available for play, and most importantly, what weapons are available.
Black Ops is Treyarch's fresh entry to the series, after their success with World At War. It's a departure from the recent and successful Modern Warfare games by Infinity Ward, but is also much better supported, especially now that IW barely exists.
- slide 2 of 9
Basics of the Game
It wouldn't be a Call of Duty Black Ops Multiplayer guide if I didn't talk about the multiplayer though, now would it? So here we go. The basics of the multiplayer game modes are all the same; you're a man fighting other men with guns in various environments. There are two main resources to keep yourself aware of in the game. EXP and COD Bucks.
EXP is just what it sounds like, to anyone who has ever played a video game. You gain EXP to level up, which grants you access to better guns. Unlike the Modern Warfare games, leveling up does not get you new perks or killstreaks. Levels only unlock new weapons, allow you to customize guns and facepaints, and unlock certain other features such as layers for your emblem and prestige modes.
EXP is earned by killing players, completing challenges, capturing and defending objectives, winning matches, and other similar actions in game.
COD Bucks are an in-game currency that you earn in much the same way as EXP. The difference is in it's use. COD Bucks rack up while you play until you spend them or you prestige. What can you buy with COD Bucks? Everything! You have to byu weapons to use them, and buy attachments to equip them. You have to buy the ability to paint your gun and put your emblem on it, or to customize your sights. You have to buy perks and their upgrades. You have to buy grenades or equipment to use. You even have to buy each layer of your emblem and each individual symbol you want to use.
Contracts are time-limited challenges that you purchase for COD Bucks. If you complete them, you get more money than you put into buying them. If you fail, you lose your investment.
Sound confusing? Read on, it will all be explained.
- slide 3 of 9
- slide 4 of 9
Killstreaks in Black Ops
Anyone familiar with the more recent Call of Duty games knows about Killstreaks. In Black Ops, unlike Modern Warfare 2, they go up to 11 kills. Kills made by your killstreaks do not count towards your next killstreak. Each killstreak can only be earned once per life, so if you earn all three you'll have to die before you start earning any more. The killstreaks are:
- Spy Plane: 3 Kills.
- RC-XD: 3 Kills.
- Counter Spy Plane: 4 Kills.
- SAM Turret: 4 Kills.
- Care Package: 5 Kills
- Napalm Strike: 5 Kills.
- Sentry Gun: 6 Kills
- Mortar Team: 6 Kills
- Attack Helicopter: 7 Kills.
- Valkyrie Rockets: 7 Kills.
- Blackbird: 8 Kills.
- Rolling Thunder: 8 Kills.
- Chopper Gunner: 9 Kills.
- Attack Dogs: 11 Kills.
- Gunship: 11 Kills.
For a more in-depth look at killstreaks, check out this Killstreaks Guide, here on Bright Hub!
- slide 5 of 9
Black Ops Perks
As always, Perks are a large part of gameplay. They can protect you from air support, allow you to move and aim faster, hide you from enemies, and let you see equipment. There are three perk slots: Blue, Orange, and Green. You can have one of each type of perk, to mix and match. Blue perks choose your player model. Each perk also has a Pro version, unlocked by completing certain challenges for it. More on that later in the guide.
- Flak Jacket
- Second Chance
- Tactical Mask
For each perk's effects and the effects of their pro versions, check out this in-detail guide to Perks in Black Ops.
- slide 6 of 9
The customizabillity of your pla yer in the game is nothing to be scoffed at. How can you customize yourself? This Call of Duty Black Ops multiplayer guide will tell you!
Perks are the first method of customization. Your first perk chooses the look of your character. Once you unlock the ability to, you can change the face paint of your character as well. You can choose your clan tag, and you can etch it into your gun. Speaking of your guns, you can paint them different cameos, change the color and dot of the sights, and paint your emblem on them.
Your emblem consists of a number of layers, each of which you can add one of a selection of symbols to, in various colors. Use your creativity to make whatever you want! Just don't make it offensive, or Treyarch will remove it.
- slide 7 of 9
- slide 8 of 9
Call of Duty Black Ops Multiplayer Gametypes
The core to multiplayer is the gametypes, and this wouldn't be a good guide if it didn't cover them for you. So here we are, the Call of Duty Black Ops multiplayer gametypes.
Gametypes fall into two categories; Player Match and Wager Match. Player Matches are the standard deathmatch and objective variants, while Wager Matches are a new addition to Black Ops. Wager matches allow you to play one of four specific game modes at one of three ante levels, with your COD Bucks on the line. Win and you can take home as much as three times your bid; lose and you can lose it all. There's also the thing type, Combat Training, which is regular Player Matches using bots.
- Team Deathmatch: 6v6 kill everyone. Reach a score limit of 7500 with 100 points per kill.
- Mercenary Team Deathmatch: Team Deathmatch that disallows parties of organized players.
- Free For All: 8 player battle royale with 5 points per kill and a score limit of 150.
- Domination: 6v6 teams capture and defend 3 map points to a score limit of 200.
- Ground War: Domination and Team Deathmatch with higher score limits and 9v9 teams.
- Demolition: Two bomb sites on a map. Every player has a bomb. 6v6, one team defends.
- Sabotage: 6v6, each team has a bomb site, with a neutral bomb. Defend your bomb site and destroy the other one!
- Headquarters: A neutral objective appears randomly; 6v6 teams try to capture it and hold it to gain points until it moves.
- Capture the Flag: Two flags, 6v6, classic game type.
- Search and Destroy: One bomb site, one bomb, 6v6 teams on offense and defense; no respawns.
- Team Tactical: 4v4 teams with Headquarters, Search and Destroy, Sabotage, Domination, and Team Deathmatch
- slide 9 of 9
Hardcore, Barebones, and Wager Matches
Hardcore mode ups the danger! Players have much lower health, no HUD, no radar unless a Spy Plane is called in, and friendly fire is on. Hardcore gametypes include:
Barebones game modes strip the game to it's basics. There are three types.
- Pure: No Perks, Killstreaks, Attachments, Equipment, or Contracts. Team Deathmatch and Free For All
- Classic: No Attachments or Equipment and killstreaks are set to Spy Plane, Napalm Strike, Attack Chopper.
- Team Tactical: 4v4 with no Perks, Killstreaks, Attachments, Equipment, or Contracts.
Wager Matches have three ante levels: 10, 1,000, or 10,000 buy in with a double-down option. Only the 10-buck level allows parties. They come in four flavors:
- One In The Chamber: Players have 3 lives, a pistol with 1 bullet, and a knife. Bullets kill instantly and when you kill someone, you get another bullet.
- Sharpshooter: Every player gets an identical weapon, which changes every 45 seconds. Kills net you perks that stick until you die.
- Sticks and Stones: Players only get the Ballistic Knife, the Crossbow, and the Tomahawk. Kills with the first two net you points, the tomahawk makes the enemy lose all of theirs.
- Gun Game: 20 tiers of weapons from a pistol all the way to missile launchers. Players start at tier 1 and each kill bumps them up a tier. Being knifed lowers you a tier. First to kill with the final tier wins.
Call of Duty Black Ops Multiplayer Guide
- Guide to Multiplayer in CoD Black Ops
- Call of Duty Guide: All the Weapons and Equipment in CoD: Black Ops
- Call of Duty Black Ops Maps Guide: All the Multiplayer Maps for CoD: Black Ops
- Call of Duty Black Ops Ranks Guide: XP, Classes, Unlocks and Challenges in CoD: Black Ops
- Kill More, Die Less: Multiplayer Tips and Tricks for CoD Black Ops
- Call of Duty Black Ops Multiplayer Game Types
- Black Ops: Dominate Your Opponents Multiplayer Guide
- Call of Duty: Black Ops - Killstreaks Guide